Wednesday, August 18, 2010


The Youth Criminal Justice Act says it is better to deal with less serious offences outside the court system. Extrajudicial measures include all consequences imposed by someone other than a judge.
  • The police can give warnings, cautions, or referrals to a community program.
  • When the police think those measures are not adequate, an extrajudicial sanction can be used.
  • Your lawyer can advocate for extrajudicial measures or sanctions for you.
  • Police and Crown attorneys make decisions about extrajudicial measures and sanctions. Judges and justices of the peace may call a pre-trial conference to try to resolve the issues.
  • Crown attorneys can refer young people to extrajudicial sanctions programs before or after the young person has been charged.
  • Young people and parents should ask the police, Crown attorney or a lawyer about extrajudicial measures and extrajudicial sanctions programs.
To find these programs:
In Toronto, call 211
Throughout Ontario go to (the connection to community-based services for youth)
JFCY:(416) 920-1633(in GTA) or 1-866-999-5329 (outside GTA)

No comments:

Post a Comment