Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hello from your summer JFCY Blogger!

Hi everybody, hope everyone is coping well with exams, just remember… summer is just around the corner!

My name is Daniel Lo, I am a law graduate and will be starting my Master of Laws degree at the University of Toronto in September 2011.

I have recently accepted the volunteer role as Public Legal Education (PLE) Team Lead for Justice For Children and Youth (JCFY) for the 2011 summer. I found out about JCFY through contacting the Pro Bono Students Canada – UofT Chapter, and was told of this great opportunity to engage in children and youth rights. Throughout my academic and personal life, I have been an active supporter and volunteer at pro bono clinics and human rights organizations. The work that JCFY does interests me immensely as this is the first exposure that I have had to age-based legal rights for those under 18 years old, and I feel that it is a vital area of the law that is neglected by many.

At JCFY, my role entails helping a staff lawyer to lead the PLE Team, which consists of a committee group of youth and adults who assist in devising strategies to inform young people about their legal rights and responsibilities; the JCFY blog with regular weekly updates; and the Facebook account to ensure as many people become aware of it as possible.

During my time at JCFY, I hope to continue the great work that the PLE Team and the previous PLE Team Lead had done, while also searching for ways to help JCFY grow. I welcome any tips/advice/recommendations/ideas that anyone has in this regard. I can be reached via email

That is all for now, I hope that you will keep updated with JCFY through this blog or our Facebook account, we have a lot of interesting projects for the summer planned, don’t miss out!

Daniel